Saturday 7 May 2011

Fighting fear with fear.




Around September last year, my family, my grandmothers and my aunt’s family went for a short road trip around Malaysia. From Cameron highlands to Colmar tropicale, then to Terengganu and the island of Penang, we were having the time of our lives. In places like Cameron highlands and Colmar tropicale, it was lush, the environment was harmonious and very secluded from town, and it basically was a getaway to tranquility and serenity. 4 days had ended and it was time to depart. After 4 hours, we arrived at Terengganu, the city known for their extraordinary and vast variety of ‘keropok’ or fish crackers in English terms. Later in the evening, we checked in the resort near town and unpacked. It was not long until my uncle suggested to go fireflies watching. My brothers and I, including our cousin were amazed just by listening him talk about how beautiful these creatures are and it would be a wonderful experience for us all. However, he did not mention the dark side of it but I went. Funny thing was, it didn’t come to my knowledge that we had to ride in narrow, small, wooden fishermen boats along the river to reach to the site of the firefly’s habitat. Unfortunately, I have a fear of rivers and forests in the dark and supernatural events. Bare in mind, that this all happened when it’s almost midnight. My brothers, cousin and I pondered about for a minute.”Alright everyone, we have arrived.” My mind began to resuscitate my phobia. The dark, tenebrous surroundings were direful. Cold shivers were running down my spine. The payment was settled and it was time to go. I had no choice but to follow or else I would’ve sat in the car alone with nothing but quietness around me. It took me a while to get into the boat and everyone began to worry. Later, we listened to the briefing given by the fisherman and slowly began to cruise away. Immediately when I felt a few movements shaking under the boat, I started crying heavily! Mr. Dylan warned us not to touch the water because you may never know what you’re getting yourself into. That made me cry even more. I was so petrified that I clenched on Adam’s wrist so tight, it left a mark. I felt sorry for him but he laughed at me anyway. All of them did.30 minutes after, we were positioned deep in the mangrove forest along the river with nothing but the moonlight as our source of light since fireflies don’t like brightness. Tears were flowing down my face like running water when I thought that it was going to be the end of the world. Slowly by slowly, there they were, sparkling like stars by the tress and lighting up the forest like golden lights everywhere. It was the most enchanting, exquisite, fascinating, and ravishing view I had ever seen in my entire life! On the other hand, Aliff eyed on something else slithering through the waters near our boat. He quickly got everyone’s attention and had the fisherman shine his torchlight towards it. I didn’t want to see it because I thought it was a crocodile and we were doomed. “Papa there are two water snakes near us!” screamed Afeef. It was heading towards us and Mr. Dylan instantly switched on the motor to get them away. Dad quickly took shots of it and showed it to my uncle. At that moment, only god knows what went through my mind. Helplessly stricken to fear, I started praying and the snakes eventually, didn’t bother us anymore. The trip had to go on. The further we go the higher chance of getting to see plenty of fireflies. Did you know that no matter how you many photos you take, it won’t appear well? Yes it’s true and dad’s tried it. An hour later, the cruise had come to an end. We arrived safely and drove back home. I could’ve not been more relieved than I already was when we reached the resort. We made it ALIVE. As soon as my brothers reached the hotel room, news spread like wildfire. I stepped in and they all laughed but were extremely proud of my accomplishment. I’ve overcome my fear and they respected that. All in all, it was a thrilling and an UNFORGETTABLE experience. I’m glad that I went for it and I have my dad and uncle to thank on behalf.


No comments:

Post a Comment