Sunday 1 May 2011

Colored chicks.




What do we acknowledge of this? Well, this is not a topic you hear about in everyday life, which is why animal rights are a minor matter in the world, that’s my opinion… I don’t know about others. We should not abuse of it, instead make full use of it. Animals deserve to live a normal life as well. One of my sightings relating to this was when I was 17, and was touring around the Souq Waqif, Qatar. Souq Waqif is a cultural market filled with local traders selling various things such as beautiful white pearls, gigantic sea shells, luring and succulent Arabic food, adorable pets and its pet hotel to ideal Qatari souvenirs. Basically, it is one of the hotspots of the country. Every time I go there, it makes me realize that the culture has not vanished and citizens there respect and obey it to the fullest, which is very pleasing indeed. The food is so exotic that it is mouth watering and simply just melts in your mouth. Everything was alright except when I passed through the narrow path and found myself in another section of the market. It was a pet wonderland. Tons of tourists liven up the environment with cute cuddly rabbits in their hands. My brothers and I were very thrilled to see animals like slithering snakes, dainty chicks, plenty of birds,  charming parrots, fat chickens, Persian cats, bull dogs, cheeky monkeys, daunting iguanas, and ghastly looking lizards. It was all so amusing being with them and pets. However, I came across a few shops down the lane and ‘rainbow’ colored chicks for sale! It was so shocking and sad that my jaw dropped and for a moment, it felt like my heart skipped a beat. I took action immediately and questioned one of the shopkeepers. “Is this the right way to treat animals? Are you aware of the consequences that might just occur to these chicks? This is not the way to earn money. In a way, you’re killing those adorable baby chicks. ”Unfortunately, there was no point of saying it as whatever was heard through his right ear, came out to his left ear. His ignorant selfish face made me want to give him a piece of me, honestly. Before all that happened, I asked him how the process happens. Turns out that these chicks are tied to their tiny legs and is blind-folded when being sprayed. I’m not sure of what chemicals or ingredients are contained in those spray cans because he refused to tell us. Imagine the agony and their pain. I teared at that moment. If only I had the money to buy all of it, and send it to the veterinary services and pamper each with a clean washing. Funny thing is, they actually sell and make a good profit out of it! Isnt this disheartening?! And with all due respect, I feel that the department of animal rights and services are not doing their job well and probably just sitting there and chill their lazy self off. Thus, with nothing but ample of pity and sympathy for the chicks, we all had to leave. Overall, we had an enjoyable day but only wishing that we could do something for those colored chicks.






No comments:

Post a Comment